[CAUT] Baldwin Accujust

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Apr 29 15:49:21 PDT 2009

Jeff Tanner wrote:

> So, call it circumstantial evidence, but it appears to this non-engineer
> to be related to the vertical hitch pins.
> Jeff

Ah, think I may know what you're hearing. It isn't the
hitches, but more likely the long open back scale. These
aren't tuned, because it's not possible, and because there's
no direct relationship between the rear duplex and the
speaking length anyway, like there is between the speaking
length and the front duplex. String energy doesn't pass across
a bridge like it does with the string rocking across a V-bar
in front, causing the too long front duplex to squall
obnoxiously. Any note you strike anywhere in the scale will
find a sympathetic at some partial in some back segment, and
that segment will sound. Tuned rear duplexes are typically too
short to make much supportive sound at all, so these long
segments are louder than you hear in other pianos, including
the pre vertical hitch Baldwins. Some people don't mind the
noise, and some hate it. Harold apparently didn't mind it.

Ron N