[CAUT] Baldwin Accujust

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Apr 29 13:54:00 PDT 2009

We have both kinds of Baldwin grands here.  Indeed, the traditional hitch
pins are better made and sound better.  But, I don't think it's the
accujusts. I just think they were better made before they went to the
accujust. A little heavier board with some crown, better construction,
craftsmen who cared, or, whatever.  They're just better sounding. I have
one practice room with a 1940 "R" and a 197X "R" and of course, the 40's
is the old traditional.  It is far better than the 197X thing! both for
tuning and servicing.

Has anyone rebuilt an accujust piano with a new board and bridges?  I'd
love to know if they sound better like the Baldwins of old.

BTW, Jeff, the drop of epoxy or some sort of mass on the front duplex
stings will help the nasy metallic sound quite a bit, in my experiences.

Paul

Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
04/29/2009 03:34 PM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Baldwin Accujust

Er...  why would you think that ?  Just curious.

Cheers
RicB

    I've always assumed all that nasty metallic sounding noise that
    makes the Baldwin so difficult to tune and produce a musical tone
    was the result of the vertical hitch pin.
    Jeff