[CAUT] [pianotech] Baldwin Accujust

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Apr 28 14:29:53 PDT 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 2:54 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Fred-
>
> This could be an opportunity to experiment with springs under the
> soundboard....maybe set them on a rail parallel to the bridge, and
> have nice adjustment screws to adjust tension....   ;-)
>
> Ed S.

	I have bunches of those gizmos, the springs in them seeming to be
valve springs from cars. I have determined they were probably
installed by Baldwin in the factory on the 30 or so Hamiltons UNM
bought back in 1963. They also replaced four of the top plate screws
with bolts through the back. I assume there was a warrantee claim, and
they recalled them and did retrofits. Can't swear this is true, but
there is a fair amount of evidence I have stumbled upon over the
years. I have removed them from several instruments, and could tell no
difference whatsoever. Hey, they are 40+ year old Hamiltons, so what
was I expecting? Someone else installed similar devices under several
grands. I have done deinstalls on them, and couldn't tell the
difference. Maybe I wasn't sensitive enough at the time (all this was
ten or more years ago), wasn't listening to/for the right things.
	I guess I might experiment if I get bored. I'm not really looking to
make this into a paragon of a piano. I just need to restring it so I
can tune it without too much cussing, and with half a chance of the
unisons lasting over night (lots of friction between strings and
underfelts and whatnot). Having never done an accujust, I have been
inquiring. I have discovered that light is best. I will do that. It
will probably be just fine as is. At any rate I probably won't have
made it worse, as I might by doing a 1 degree plus rather than mostly
under 0.5 degree.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico