[CAUT] summer procedures

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Apr 28 10:12:19 PDT 2009

Hi Gerry,

I don't really have a set procedure.  However it is an excellent time to
work on the concert instruments.  Our smallest recital hall is also a
classroom.  It houses a Steinway D and a Benn harpsichord...both of which
are slated for some substantial work this summer.  During the school year,
that room is nearly impossible to get more than an hour here and and hour
there to do anything but a quicky tuning for that evenings recitals. A big
bummer is that our elevator will not hold a 9' grand and even if it did,
there are new lockers in the basement which would cancel any chance of
getting it into the shop!!.

Summer is also a good time for practice room regulating or hammer
replacement, key bushing jobs, etc.  It does happen, though, were I just
lock up one room where a piano is having bigger problems and get it down
to the shop.  In late July or August, I run through tunings and cleaning
of all the classrooms, faculty, and GTA pianos so that I'm finished with
that when school starts in the fall.  Then, I get the concert instruments
really concert "ready" as performances don't start for a few weeks into
the semester.  That's about it.  It's nice and quiet and I can pretty much
work on whatever I feel like on a day to day basis,...AND I get my
weekends and evenings off! :>) Ahhhh, summertime!

Best,
Paul T. Williams RPT
Piano Technician
University of Nebraska
Lincoln

G Cousins <cousins_gerry at msn.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
04/28/2009 09:40 AM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

CAUT <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] summer procedures

Does anyone have, or wish to share, thoughts on summer servicing
procedures?
Priortizing. Servicing levels, Regulating, Tuning, Cleaning, Cabinet
repairs etc.
Maybe in the archives but one of the plebes inquired to see my tick list
for summer instrument servicing procedures for the inventory. Perhaps if
there's nothing available, I can consolidate into one practical doc for
all.
Much appreciated,
Gerry

Gerry Cousins,RPT