[CAUT] Soundboard weighting

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 07:28:43 PDT 2009

Where did they add it exactly?  Del has contributed to this topic before and
I wonder if he had anything to do with that.  One other note, if you are
able to know about how much mass loading in advance you can also bury some
lead in the bridge body before you recap it.  For us mortals, however, it
seems to be more of  a trial and error thing to find out how much you need
exactly.  I'm not really adding the treble fish these days on soundboard
projects and without that I haven't found that mass loading is necessary.  I
also wonder on pianos with treble fish if thinning the board behind the
treble bridge will reduce the need for weighting since it reduces the
effective stiffness.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com