[CAUT] Sousdboard weighting

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Apr 27 20:37:26 PDT 2009

Alan McCoy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> For anyone who is doing soundboard weighting I'd like to know what you have
> found effective. Of course if you also state what kind of board system, it
> would provide the necessary context. And, while I'm asking, what did you
> achieve, or what problem were you trying to solve (ex. I wanted to get rid
> of the thunky sound, or wanted more fundamental, etc.).

To my knowledge, nobody has detailed information on this, only
general approaches.

> 1. What is the heaviest amount of mass that you have added in any one
> location to effectively achieve what you wanted? For what type of board
> system?

About 150 grams, low tenor. Board type unverified.

> 2. What is the least amount of mass that you have added in any one location
> to effectively achieve what you wanted? For what type of board system?

None, RC&S.

> 3. Have you noticed a pattern to the mass loading? That is, more mass is
> necessary in one are of the board and less mass in a different area.

Yes, the pattern is - as necessary, determined by trial.

> Thanks for any responses.
>
> Alan

Mass loading is about as close to a
getoutofjailfreeafterthefact thing as you'll find in belly
work. The trick is to not expect more from it than it has to
offer. It's the last patch before hammer voicing, and you have
to actually participate to work out the best configuration for
each piano.
Ron N