[CAUT] string level

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Apr 25 16:49:54 PDT 2009

On Apr 25, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Fred-
>
> What about inverting it so that it hangs below the strings into the
> action cavity?
>
> Ed S.

	I'm not sure I take your meaning. I guess you could level strings
with the action out, but it would be hard to see the bubble from
above, and you'd be doing a lot of reaching and bending, back and
forth from lifting strings, looking, moving the device from one unison
to the other. Steve Russo's devise seems like a better one for that,
going up from the keybed. It looked pretty promising to me, reading
through the patent. Especially for the first setup leveling. Easy to
see the lights from above.
	Anyway, what I did was real cheap ($0 based on scavenged materials on
hand, and 1/2 hour of expendable time).
I do like to have a level to use while voicing. That way you can
double check the string level, and go back and forth between mating
and pulling/pushing strings. That is, you hear a suspect unison, and
the first thing you do is put the level on it. If a string is low or
high, you correct it. If it is level with the level, you check mating,
and file the hammer if needed.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico