[CAUT] CAUT appropriate; was: How do you spell fraud?

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 25 12:28:57 PDT 2009

Ed,
I apologize if my language implied that I felt you were policing the list.  And I only used the example of the CAUT material published in the Journal to make the point that had the material been "appropriately" posted, it would have been to the pianotech list and not the CAUT list.  An excellent discussion it was, and yet the discussion could have been completely different had it been posted to the pianotech list.

I would suggest we consider that there is one group of listers that you will find on CAUT, another on pianotech, each list with a different "personality", and among these a group which subscribes to both.  I think a poster needs to consider which group of readers he/she wants to pose a question to.  But we do have to realize that posting only to one or the other group will gather an incomplete set of responses.  Otherwise, if we technically stick to the issues relevant only to CAUT, there would be very little use being made of this list.

I did subscribe to the pianotech list not long ago just for the purpose of posing one question, getting a few responses and unsubscribing.  When I got back to my mailbox the next morning, it took me half a day to sort through the responses I was interested in and just hitting the delete key for those not related.  In my case, still on dial up for very good reasons (saving over $40 a month to have access from both home and the business), that also means quite a long time to download the emails into the inbox.

I've done work for 4 different colleges since I left my full time job last March. Knowing most of the posters to this list, I'm pretty sure there is no requirement that one be a full-time CAUT to post and read, so I think you have no worries about that :-)

Jeff