[CAUT] The Steinway Cult thing.

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 24 20:42:44 PDT 2009

As an example:   I tuned a 1918 M, possibly all original, supposedly only driven around the block every week.   In very good condition.  The young fellow (programmer for Adobe Software) got it for a good price.   $15,000.   Needs refinishing but he doesn't care at this point.   He has been dabbling with tuning it and has enough piano info to be dangerous.   Anyway, I tune:  the tuning pins are Ok, but not as tight as we like, so with the built up friction in this old piano it is touchy to tune.   Very loud piano (good board...no cracks in bridge or anywhere, California, what can I say).   But it has all the little annoying stuff you expect from a piano amplified by the bright, loud tone.   I spent some time recommending work to do.   Too much key dip, too much aftertouch, all the regulation needs work.   And voicing...he was reluctant to "poke it too much"... '-]   This piano could be so much better with a days work...no vertegri...all the little things we can do with a piano that has a solid foundtation...

I think it will be a life changing experience for him when he lets me do all the little things...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044