[CAUT] [pianotech] Baldwin Accujust

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 24 11:23:33 PDT 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:
>     I'm about to do my first accujust restring this summer (donated L),
> and have questions about procedure: the tap down tool I assume is
> something on the order of a rod with a hole drilled in it, just above
> the size of the pins, and I was thinking of making one of brass. Is that
> a good idea?

Mild steel is fine, or even unhardened drill rod. The wire is
still considerably harder than any of these.

>For lifting, I was thinking of a slide hammer of some sort,
> rather than prying against the plate (with a wooden fulcrum), but
> haven't come up with an easy to make jig to fit around the pin under the
> string and pull up. Anyone have such a design? Or is prying with a coil
> lifter just fine?

A coil lifter works, but is too big in diameter and awkward
(for me, at least).

The first one I strung way back when, I cobbled together a
slide hammer. The business end is mild steel, shaped,
carburized with an oxyacetylene torch to case harden it, and
then tempered back some. Must have worked, since I haven't
managed to break it yet. As usual, it was thrown together in
minimum time, in case it didn't work or broke immediately, so
is typically ugly. Works great though.

Ron N