[CAUT] The Steinway Cult thing.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Apr 24 11:26:31 PDT 2009

Hi all.

I ran into one of these older Steinways, an O variant from 1911, today.
The thing had been <<restored>> about 10 years ago. In this case that
meant the hammers had been replaced (hung on original shanks), the
strings and tuning pins had bee replaced, plate taken off so the
soundboard could be sanded down and re-lacquered  (no sign of shims
anywhere), case refinished with a dull black kind of lacquer, and then
reassembled.

Balance weight is like 46 grams on average.. but all over the place...
no weigh off had been done obviously and too heavy a hammer had been
used for the existing key leading. There is perhaps 5 grams on average
friction weight, very loose and hard key bushings, damper stop rail full
up, checking variance of at least 10 mm, zings and gingles all over the
place from buzzing strings, etc etc etc ad absurdum. It was a bear to
tune because the restorer left the tuning pins so the bottom of the
coils (all precisely three and a half rounds oddly enough) were like 7-8
mm from the plate... you could get a flagpoling pin from just a ff blow
if you get my meaning.  I could go on but its not the rebuild, or even
the condition of the instrument 10 years later that is on my mind
here.... its the pianists reaction to being informed of some of these
things.

Now I was at my absolute diplomatic, charming best mind you... and tho
perhaps some of you might squint a bit at that concept I can tell you I
can be quite diplomatic at need. The pianist did agree that the sideways
slack in the key bushings was a bit irritating but other then that was
just plain in love with this thing.  It did have a nicely functioning
SB, so when she sat down to play a more then very acceptable sound
filled the room... I'll give it that.  But for this pianist the only
thing that mattered was it was a Steinway, and it had be <<rebuilt>> by
someone flashing around some form of credentials.  You couldn't point
out a thing really that needed attention.  It was all wonderful and it
was Steinway.

Ok... so I'm on the other side of the fence then I usually stand on this
issue... so I'll qualify my post a bit here.  Thing is I just dont see
how on earth anyone of us... or even all of us put together has got a
hoot'n chance of doing anything about this phenomena.  And I'll bet 2
dozen to 1 that it's not so important exactly what name the present
piano deity has...  it the fact that pianists just need the deity.  The
reality of that deities condition is in the end not relevant. I'll be
the first to hop on anyones frustration wagon as far as that ride will
take me.   But experience tells me... there aint a damned thing I or
anyone else can do to change it.  At best... we can truly satisfy a very
few open minds who are willing to try anything as long as real quality
has its named not just on the fallboard but in every part of the pianos
performance. For those few .... just about any well executed approach
will work.  But for the rest of the worlds <<pianists>>...  its just
hopeless. Its good (or not) simply depending on the name. And that seems
to be a fact I have to live with, and try to make the best of.

Cheers
RicB