[CAUT] Nichtgebunden

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Apr 24 07:11:55 PDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 3:59 AM, Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) wrote:

>    Seeing that what I claim about keyboards, tuning, and maintenance
> on my authority—whether or not acknowledging it as such guesswork—
> now may or may not be true according to better authority, it is a
> good time for me to make assertions yet on the authority of even
> others that will bolster some of my firmer convictions stated,
> authorities that cannot be disputed in the CAUT environment or on
> the CAUT list, by anyone.

Hi Benjamin,
	I am very puzzled. This extremely long and rambling post was a propos
of what? In response to what? What exactly are you trying to say and
why? I am guessing it has something to do with the history of tuning
systems, but exactly what is beyond me.
	BTW, with respect to the Palisca/Grout textbook, it has been taken
over by Peter Burkholder, a college mate of mine (I accompanied him in
voice lessons). A new edition came out recently, I think Peter's
second stab at it. I wouldn't take such a generalized textbook as
being a "final authority" on anything, though such works do tend to
"follow the commonly accepted path." If you want details on a specific
area, like historical tuning, you need to look at specialized books
and articles. The generalizations of a general textbook often miss the
details that matter the most.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico