[CAUT] How do you spell fraud?

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Thu Apr 23 20:39:26 PDT 2009

An interesting find on Craigs List.  Someone is selling an "Antique Steinway upright" that was "registered in 1878", (whatever that's supposed to mean).  It says that it is "historical" but doesn't provide any explanation why.  From the picture it is plainly obvious to be 1950s-ish with a modern cabinet.  It says it has serial number 64810 which would make the date about right.  However the numbers which are partly visible are completely the wrong font.  It looks like rub-on numbers from an art store.

I have observed a rash of misleading or plain out fraudulent piano ads lately.  Someone here has been selling gray markets out of their home perpetually.  A different piano every week but always the same living room in the picture.  I've also seen a lot of pianos lately being advertised as "rare" but no explanation as to why.  A while back someone was selling an incredibly average old upright but the ad went on paragraph after paragraph proclaiming it to be special and rare and that you would be a fool to pass this opportunity up.  Have any of you noticed this activity increasing in your area?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/1136859630.html

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV