[CAUT] install bridge pins?

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Tue Apr 21 15:52:15 PDT 2009

Hi Folks,

Last job I coated the new bridges and caps with System 3 Clear Coat, a
penetrating epoxy. Letting it flow into the holes as it would. Rationale
being to seal the bridges as much as possible. This was done after drilling
and notching. I put the pins in dry. First one I've done with Clear Coat.
You can watch as the epoxy penetrates. It does not penetrate maple as it
does spruce, needless to say. But it does penetrate some. The hope is that
it reinforces the surface fibers for strength as well as form a humidity
barrier for the bridge as a whole. The jury is still out about longevity.
The only thing I don't like about it is the glossy finish as I'd prefer less
shine. (Holes were drilled deeper and pins were not seated or filed. No
lubricant used.)

Alan McCoy