[CAUT] install bridge pins?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Apr 21 08:39:49 PDT 2009

I used to do the epoxy method but I'm not sure how much penetration you actually get on the surface and it just slows me down too much.  CA works just as well to secure the pins.  I've never really thought that the structural integrity of the bridge body was a problem and if you do think that it is then fill the old bridge pin holes after decapping with epoxy mixed with a medium to high density filler, which I tend to do lately rather than pound shoe pegs.  Anyway, when I get into bridge mode I don't like to be interrupted with cure times and such.  With epoxy after coating you need to sand back the top flat again also and if there's minimal penetration I'm not sure that you don't end up removing most of what you've just painted on.  Also, you really should let epoxy cure for a week or more before putting a finish coat over it, or so I'm told.

So, with new bridge caps I don't stain and don't precoat with CA.  The stain is only for old bridge caps where I want to hide a bit of the residual dag staining and make it look nice and don’t want to reapply more dag or anything else like that.  On new caps I like the look of the new wood and grain though I suppose you could stain it.  It does make it a bit easier on these aging eyes.  I do burnish down the bridge top with a metal rod to try and get the top as dense as possible first before marking and drilling and notching.  I do apply thin CA around the pins after they are inserted which also gets into the notch edge where the sealing and hardening is probably most important.  I then shoot the bridge top with clear lacquer usually a satin or semi-gloss depending on how I feel that day.

With old caps I sand, lightly burnish (but be careful when burnishing an already cut bridge top as you can create some valleys if you are too vigorous), stain and then coat the cap with CA paying special attention to the holes.  I don't put on a huge amount and don’t try and "fill" the holes necessarily.  Mostly I'm trying to reinforce around especially the top of the hole so that when I redrill there's no chipping.  That's important, epoxy or CA, if you are going to redrill old holes you have to reinforce them.  Then drill, notch, insert pins and a drop or two of CA around the base of the new pins.  Wipe off the dust and shoot with clear lacquer.

BTW on old caps if you are not going up in size with the pins (or even if you are) be careful when inserting the new pins as you will undoubtedly encounter some holes where the pins go in more easily than others and if you are not paying attention it's easy to tap them down below the level of the cap by accident (whoops).  No fun but good for that puzzled and "oh s--t" look on the face.

I think that's about it.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com