[CAUT] capstan hole plugging

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Apr 20 07:20:30 PDT 2009

I use West System epoxy (slow catalyst) mixed with microlight fairing filter
#410 and a glue injector.  Make sure the capstan holes are not drilled all
the way through the key first DAMHIK.  Inject glue by inserting the injector
all the way down to the bottom of the hole and back it out as you press on
the plunger.  Let it soak in a bit.  It will sag so be prepared to top it
off.  Try and get it to dome up a bit.  When it cures but is not yet really
hard trim the top flush with a sharp chisel.  After it dries, run an orbital
sander over the area.  I find that the microlight drills out well without
any problems of bit wandering.  Plugging with dowels can be a problem that
way.  The whole job takes about an hour of work time.  Or you can cut plugs
from old keys and drill and insert but I find that takes a lot longer when
you factor in the plug cutting.  I've also used the two part epoxy putty but
it's a hassle to get it into the old capstan hole.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com