[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Sat Apr 18 10:55:06 PDT 2009

>In both the piano in Reno, and the one in Rochester, Ron used a stock
>Samick laminated *panel*, not belly. The string scale, bridges, rib scale,
>cutoff bar, and whatever additional bracing he did to the rim were his
>own, and decidedly not stock. Yes, I was impressed.
>Ron N

Hi Ron,
                Be careful about stating, A STOCK LAMINATED RIM.  We build
two different qualities of rim.  Our top end products use well seasoned
Canadian Maple and is constructed in much the same way as a Steinway rim.
Lower priced products are built much the same way as other Asian products,
lower priced Mahogany type materials. Kiln drying of the bare rim for the
maple construction is significantly more extensive, before assembly of
belly bracing..
I seem to recall that Ron used the maple rim construction.  All Tenon
joints for braces and rim are CNC cut as is the 1 degree bevel on the inner
rim.
I take exception to Fred's remark that eludes to the point that Ron O built
a superior piano from an inferior rim.  These rims are as good as you will
find anywhere.  Ron would not have used them unless they were.

Regards Roger