[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 18 10:29:41 PDT 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Tanner
  To: caut at ptg.org
  Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:22 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?
  I'm not sure where this myth of NY Steinway being so pricey comes from...
I should add, here, "...especially when you consider what a violinist pays for that little carved wooden box and bent stick strung with the hair from a horse's behind."

Perhaps a bit crude, and I do have a love affair with the violin - I own three and am making one myself - but that is essentially what it is, and for the amount of labor involved in creating one, compared to that required to build the piano, the artist grade piano, Steinway in particular, seems to me a basement bargain.

Jeff Tanner