[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 17 21:26:02 PDT 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:

>     Me, I find that the question of who prepped the piano is far more
> important than what name is on the decal. I've seen what Ron Overs does
> with a Samick belly and rim, what Darrel Fandrich does with Bohemia,
> just to name a couple examples.

Fred,
Are you really under the impression that Ron's piano was just
a well prepped stock Samick? That would truly put you at the
far boundary of "doesn't have the vaguest idea what he's
talking about".

>     But I sure would like to see us lose this tendency to bash. Why?
> What good does it do you?

What good does universal Steinway worship do *anyone* (except
Steinway) when anyone even marginally competent to be working
on them is well aware of their list of problems? It's been
demonstrated in education these many years that unconditional
praise and support ultimately produces and reinforces mediocre
performance. Some would call it a recipe for making monsters,
and I'd have to agree. I've met 'em. Constructive and, for
lack of a less glandular word, rationally *corrective*
critique has always been a more effective educational
approach. Rational corrective critique, from those who have
actually been there and done that, is unfortunately an
altogether too rare treat. "Been there and done that" would be
the qualifying criteria here.

>Would we all be better off if S&S closed its
> doors?

The devil you know, or nothing? That's a pretty grim prognosis
for any hope of improvement, and a pretty crude dodge.

>Why not think for a few minutes before sending that kind of
> diatribe out into public cyberspace?
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico
> fssturm at unm.edu

Gee, that's what I was about to say. Learn the material, then
teach.
Ron N