[CAUT] Steinway cult

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Apr 17 13:41:53 PDT 2009

Dave

I think you for sure have one very large piece of the Steinway dominance
thing put into place here. And personally... I think this part of the
picture paints a rather sad picture about pianists and piano (playing)
education.  I've thought for years that the education system leaves out
very big chunks of very relevant information in music education in
general and in piano education in particular.  I'm not particularly
impressed with ear training curriculums for the most part, nor the
weight placed on music theory.... with the exception of jazz
musicians... speaking in generalities here mind you.  And I am most
unimpressed with what instrumentalists are required to know about the
mechanics/physics of their instruments. Pianist are on the absolute
bottom of that list.  Another thing I think music education leaves out
is how to deal with angst.  Indeed.... if anything the education does
just about everything it can to build into an artist loads of angst.  I
saw a young and very gifted young fellow a few years back completely
disintegrate during his final bachelors exam on piano. He had a
reputation for being a bit of a know it all... often correcting the
teacher in collective classes, and had picked a very difficult program
to play. His family, his peers, his teachers... all each in their own
way exerted so much pressure on the fellow.  He came very close to
killing himself or worse.  In the end he re-grouped and shuffled off to
a distant country to do his graduate studies after receiving a grace
card passing grade here in Bergen.

But back to Steinway.... there is of course much more to the picture.  I
believe truly that they did actually hit upon a <<sound>> that caught on
and has yet to be defeated by any challenger.  I love the CF III sound
on the two newer ones we have here... but it is a different sound...
rounder with a bit of a stretched out (in a positive way) sustain in the
upper treble.  Most pianists I run into however simply prefer the
Steinway sound. Same thing goes for Fazioli.  They are fascinated by
it... but feel they can express more music more often on Steinway.  I
have to leave this big wad of the benefit of doubt in my pocket and not
underestimate the pianists appreciation (on the intuitive level it seems
to rest) of the instrument.

Then of course there is the marketing strategies of Steinway...
aggressive and very effective.... but hey... they are in business to
survive.

Still... I'm with you in sentiment... I wish pianists would open
themselves for much more variety.  I think they should be able to sit
down to just about any instrument... relax... figure out what it has to
say and start making music.  Unfortunately... that does not seem to be
their makeup.

Cheers
RicB

    Let's look at why there seems to be a cult following around
    Steinway.  Artists who play every other instrument except piano,
    play their own instrument.  The trumpet player, the violinist, the
    cellist all take their instruments with them even if (as in the cast
    of the cellist) they have to purchase an airline ticket for the
    instrument.  They always play their instrument with which they are
    very familiar.  Pianists, have to play whatever is there.  This does
    bring on lots of angst.  When they get to the venue they are
    comforted by seeing something familiar.  If it is a Steinway that
    starts their being at ease.  It might be a great Steinway, or it
    might be a dreadful one, but at least it is familiar.

    We had an artist come here last summer that when he found out that
    our Steinway was being rebuilt and that he would have to play a
    Yamaha he was quite unhappy.  When the date finally arrived for his
    performance he changed to a smaller recital hall here that has a
    Steinway B rather than the Yamaha CFIIIS.  Familiarity won out over
    the superior piano.

    After a few decades of this, Steinway becomes the comfort food for a
    very apprehensive performer.  I guess we shouldn't be surprised that
    this has developed.  If there had been more companies promoting
    their concert instruments there might be more diversity but Steinway
    has won the familiarity war.  It will take any other manufacturer a
    lot of effort to put a dent in their dominance in that market.  They
    are the market leader in this area.  They are not the market leader
    in total number of units sold, but in the concert/recital venues,
    they own it.  That does not necessarily make them the best piano,
    they just won the concert venue playoffs.

    dave