[CAUT] Weikert felt; was 80 year old S&S hammers

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Apr 16 13:24:25 PDT 2009

Fred said: " A lot of
discussion tends along the lines of deciding on "the very best" hammer
felt or soundboard design or scaling or touchweight ratios. These are
good discussions to have, but rather than come to a decision about
what are the very best elements for some ideal instrument, I argue for
divergence of opinion leading to variety."

That's fine for you and me at a school, but most people are buying or rebuilding their _one_ piano for their continuous use.  They have to find out what is the main thing they want and settle on that and their "variety" is limited to what that piano, hammer selection and action set-up will give them.  This means a hammer that is not too bright nor too dark, a whole set-up that will give them some tonal variety, and an action that they can live with for (probably) the rest of their life.  I think the perception of the importance of this decision makes people head for the "safe" choice - or what the technician/salesman convinces them is the safe choice.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu