[CAUT] tail scuffing (was Another Baldwin Question/backchecks)

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Thu Apr 16 11:03:13 PDT 2009

Another consideration for me in checking is the effect aftertouch has on good checking. After the jack clears the knuckle, the key jumps. This is partly why when regulating let-off we use all sort of odd techniques to set it when depressing the key. Does a generous aftertouch cause the tail to bounce off the check when the key jumps after let-off as a result of not immediately being obstructed by the front rail felts, or instead, will a generous aftertouch increase the potential of the tail to bury itself in the check because of the increased velocity of the key after letoff? How would the angle, not only of the check, but the wire itself and the way we drill the key, for angled mounting of wire, or perpendicular, augment the potential for either result?