[CAUT] Concert grand casters

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Thu Apr 16 09:48:20 PDT 2009

Bill,

Yes, they can be serviced, but I'm not sure if the parts would be easily
obtained.

Please search the CAUT archive for an excellent set of instructions by
Jim Busby on the subject.  His was for eliminating slack / clunk noise
in the caster when locked, but will apply to fixing your casters as
well, I think.

When they don't tighten, in my experience it is because people are
UN-screwing them too far, and they have backed the brake screw out of
the knob a little.  It is not supposed to  turn in the knob, as there is
a locking set screw, and the threads can get messed up royally if people
turn them out aggressively.  As a result, the knob does not clamp down
against the caster properly when you lock the wheels.

When working properly, the knob should just be snugged down to keep the
piano stable.  When rolling the piano, there is no reason to unscrew the
knob all the way to the limit - you only have to loosen the brake a
little.

Don Mannino