[CAUT] Weikert felt; was 80 year old S&S hammers

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Thu Apr 16 09:40:44 PDT 2009

Fred, you are 'restoring balance to the force' on so many fronts! :-)

I would have to say that carrying this concept into soundboard and scale
is where it may not be held up by the empirical evidence.  I agree with
these ideas in regard to hammer design / action ratio and tone, and
certainly good hammer pressing and great felt is so important.

Where the flexible board / low tension scale relationship to this breaks
down, for me, is to consider the old Mason & Hamlin pianos.  Correct me
if I'm wrong ye bellymen, but my understanding is that those pianos had
rather thick and stiff soundboards, and what we all love about them is
their singing quality and expressive nature.  It was a different
approach than Steinway, and may have kept them out of the concert hall
to a large degree, but they were beautiful, expressive pianos.

It is also possible to make a light and flexible board with a higher
tension scale, and match them through very careful setting of a light
downbearing load. So there are more variables to the design process than
just a simple dichotomy of "high tension / stiff board" vs. "low tension
/ flexible board."

I have quite a few recordings of Steinway (mostly) pianos from 1920s
forward. Although it is hard to be absolute in judging the tone because
of the recording technology (and later editing process to remove noise),
I do not find that the sound of the big concert pianos differs much from
those modern pianos which are well voiced. I am sure there were loud
bombastic concerto pianos then, as well as more expressive recital and
home pianos. But it is also clear that the Steinway family saw the
benefits of lower tension and lighter softer hammers in their home
pianos (modem M, especially).

I don't mean to turn this into a piano comparison discussion, so please
change the subject if you want to continue in that direction.  I want to
say, though, that it has been Kawai America's desire for the Shigeru
Kawai pianos to have these characteristics in the smaller models.  An
SK-2 or SK-3 that is voiced as I like it has very soft hammers that give
a good range of tone.  The Japanese tend to not like this voicing, so
the pianos often don't arrive voiced this way.  But over time, those
with the best hammers and voicing remain the best sounding pianos.

So, for me good sustain and expressive tone go together, and these come
from the right hammers and soundboard design.  I think good impedance
matching of the board with the string scale is important for this, no
matter what the overall tension level might be.

Now, as to pre-1900 pianos, I also agree that these can be beautiful and
expressive instruments in a very different way from modern pianos.  When
I play them, though, my thoroughly modern ear misses the sustain mostly.

Don Mannino