[CAUT] Weikert felt; was 80 year old S&S hammers

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Wed Apr 15 17:43:39 PDT 2009

Fred:

I think you're dab on.

I also think that the sociology of piano sound, that is, the "accepted"
sound of a piano has changed so radically since the early years of the 20th
century largely due to the influence of hammer types which have drifted
toward  harder, denser, more brilliant, and more piercing. The Oriental influence
is  most notable in this regard. What we find "acceptable" piano sound now
is more  Yamaha-ish, Imadegawa-ish, than M&H or Dolge hammers.

What composers heard as they composed would be, I think, largely
unrecognizable as the pianos for which they wrote. As you say, this doesn't  condemn
the modern piano, or the modern sound, but it does make one think, and
maybe wish for a bit more spectrum bandwidth. :-)

Paul

In a message dated 4/15/2009 7:25:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time,