[CAUT] Weikert felt; was 80 year old S&S hammers

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Apr 13 14:17:45 PDT 2009

Ron writes:
<< Yes, if it's to mean anything. For instance, I got the

impression from previous discussions that Ray's Weikert felt

hammers are somewhat harder that the Wurzen felt, which is

itself somewhat harder than the Bacon. Is that correct? >>

        I haven't used Bacon felt, but the Weikert is softer than any
Wurzen I have used.  As far as boards dictating what hammer is "best", there is
another dimension, and that is what the player wants. On any given board, the
hammer comparison stays the same.  If one hammer is harder than another, it
is going to show that, no matter what piano they are tested on.  A harder
hammer might make more use of the Yamaha soundboard, but if the customer
wants a softer Yamaha, they may be the way to go.
    I tried a trial Weikert hammer on a Yamaha, Bechstein, and Steinway.
The character of the hammer was the same on all three. It was softer than any
of the three, but seemed to compare to all in a likewise manner, ie, more
fundamental and less brilliance than any of them.  The Steinway made the most
of it,though, delivering more power, (not to be confused with brilliance),
than the other two.

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>The Average US Credit Score is 692. See
Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621489x1201450100/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%
3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilAvgfooterNO62)</HTML>