[CAUT] Fund raising piano question! ASAP!!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Apr 11 12:15:51 PDT 2009

Hi David and all.

I just had the misfortune to tune a 1933 Whitney (Kimball) grand for a
huge fund raiser for our local Lied Center for the Fine and Performing
Arts in a very nice home here in town.  There is to be a guest artist...a
fine pianist from Brazil, who will be playing.."something" for 15 minutes
prior to dinner served at a promenent home in town next Friday.  I went to
tune it on Tuesday...and it's a Whitney/Kimball 4"10" grand from 1933!!  I
tuned it only.....it holds a tune, but was refinished and "rebuilt" by one
of those people here who should never get near a piano...new nickle-plated
tuning pins (for looks only) and the paint-job on the plate that surely
shows the overspray on the plate ruining the strings....you've all seen
that, Im' sure..The regulation had never been done for probably more years
than I can count....(I'm a musician....so beyond 11...it's difficult! <G>
)

Here's the question;  Should the Lied Center bring in another piano for
the event, or just tell the guest artist to just "grin and bear it" for
the 15 minutes he's going to play prior to the sit-down dinner, fully
catered, in order to fund lots of money for the Lied Center to continue
operating?  (This venue is in a lot of hurt, financially!!)

Thanks for advise...

Paul