[CAUT] Fwd: Does V S Profelt work in reverse?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Apr 8 21:22:47 PDT 2009

Mark Cramer wrote:
> Anyhow, while I sit here and ponder all this can anyone explain the
> necessity of that ridge/burr at the center of a Renner center-pin?

It's neither a ridge, nor a burr. It's a channel. LOOK at it.

> Do we really need it to keep the pin from walking, or is it a
> self-destruct mechanism designed to tear out the bushing, and keep the
> clever parts counterfeiters guessing?

No, we probably don't really need it, but Renner puts it there
for insurance. It's to help prevent the pin from walking out,
which it does rather well. If they wanted to tear up bushings,
they'd just install plated pins that flake and seize up in use
in a few years, like some other manufacturers. But what's the
point of building in a center pin self destruct when the
soundboards the actions are driving are already dead when it
kicks in?

Ron N