[CAUT] Book & DVD: The Voice of the Piano, by André Oorebeek

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Tue Apr 7 17:20:34 PDT 2009

Jim:
André will be giving a full one day class at the Annual Convention in
Grand Rapids.  He will do a complete voicing incl. hammer shaping etc
on a whole piano on a set of new hammers starting from the raw state.
I have seen this presentation twice - once here in Vancouver last year,
and again early this year when I flew to Amsterdam specifically to
shoot the video for the DVD which comes with the book.

After seeing the whole process happen before my eyes, it became clear
to me why after attending numerous voicing classes of 90 or 180 minutes
at conventions, very little seemed to stick with me.  While the
snapshots can show a few tricks or techniques, these are best utilized
in the context of a large, integrated and cohesive voicing approach.
This cannot be conveyed in one short class. Only in a full day class
have I found it possible to see, hear and experience the whole process,
and therefore walk away being able to understand it.  Of course André
will happily sign his book in Michigan.

By the way, here is what some proof readers had to say about the
manuscript:

Roger Jolly:
"This is an exceptional read for every serious technician.  For the
first time, piano technicians find a complete treatment of the art of
Intonation.  Step by step, this book removes the mystery of piano
voicing.
Congratulations André, Well done."

Dale Erwin:
"This is a long over-due and desperately needed voicing treatise for
the 21st century piano technician. A Masterpiece of clear technical
writing pours out from a lifetime of tonal research which Andre brings
to this book.   A voicer’s voicing guide, an incalculable student
resource, the Bible of voicing technique."

David Andersen:
"This is the first and only book in the 300-year history of the
instrument to discover, uncover and transmit the sacred and challenging
craft of voicing.
In a comfortable yet elegant writing style, Oorebeek effectively and
completely addresses the theory, science, technique, protocols and,
most importantly, the state of being the voicer needs to perform this
most subtle and difficult of piano arts. A triumph of the practical and
intuitive, certain to be a classic, full of humility, humor, and
honesty".

I am tempted to insert one or two of the 60+ color photos form the
book, but I suggest simply looking on the web site:

www.TheVoiceOfThePiano.co.

Best regards

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply