[CAUT] Fwd: Does V S Profelt work in reverse?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Apr 7 13:56:24 PDT 2009

Hi Alan,
	A couple other thoughts: you might try simply adding moisture to the
picture. Apply water to the surface with a brush, for instance, before
inserting the cauls. Or steam (as I have described in an earlier post,
using a steamer followed by the heated cauls). Water is a major
component in the felting process, so if you want a "semi-permanent"
result, you want both heat and moisture. Think of ironing a pair of
wool pants (I guess that's a image not too many of us have anymore, so
maybe substitute cotton). Without steam to help, it takes a lot more
time and pressure to get the fibers to lie down evenly (become
smoothly ironed). If you live in a damp climate, there is usually
enough moisture already in the fabric. In a dry climate, things are
different. BTW, this applies to burning/twisting shanks as well. I
find it often helps, and is necessary, to wipe the shanks with a wet
cloth a couple times before using the heat gun.
	About the mortise size, mortises and balance holes become smaller
when the wood is dried - moved to a drier climate. I find that almost
all my new pianos need to have balance holes reamed and bushings well-
ironed after they have been here a while.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu