[CAUT] Book & DVD: The Voice of the Piano, by André Oorebeek

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Tue Apr 7 08:59:47 PDT 2009

Jurgen Goering

There is little  question that the  pinnacle of our work as piano
technicians is voicing the instrument.  Without voicing, the piano will
have a raw, unblended and uneven tone, with only a very truncated
spectrum of tone colors available to the artist.  It is only through
our work with needles, files and other tools that the voice of the
piano is brought out, resulting in a tone with that magical combination
of power and silk.

Interestingly, voicing is a topic that has not really been well covered
in the technical literature.  Although articles and brochures have been
written, there has been no book focussing entirely on this art and
craft. Until now.

I certainly do not have the training and years of experience required
to write such a book.  But I know someone who does: André Oorebeek.
Not only does he have the knowledge, he had also been working on a
voicing manual for a number of years.

André handed me his manuscript last year and gave me brief
instructions: “Jurgen, I want you to turn this into a book.”
So I did.

I proudly, and humbly, present to you: the book and the DVD:
“The Voice of the Piano – a technicians definitive guide to voicing”
by André Oorebeek