[CAUT] Inventory

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon Apr 6 13:41:58 PDT 2009

Hi Dave,

Last time we upgraded our piano lab here we put about a dozen of the old clavinovas in the practice rooms. They seem to be useful to some people and they make much better "expensive  music stands" and reed soaking stands  for the instrumentalists. The plastic music desks get broken off quite often and after about a year or two broken notes begin appearing. They are not very cost-effective to fix and not nearly as durable as regular pianos. I certainly wouldn't purchase any for this purpose but they do seem somewhat useful if you can recycle them from somewhere else as we did.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Porritt, David
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 4:06 PM
To: 'caut at ptg.org'
Subject: [CAUT] Inventory

Colleagues:

I am going to evaluate our inventory and compare what we have with what I think we should have.  We don't have any budget to make any big changes but I'm doing this to try to head us in the right direction.  Without a plan nothing happens.

One of the problems is that we have too many big pianos.  We have more Steinway Bs than anything else and frankly they don't fit very well in small classrooms.  The other problem is the practice room uprights.  Our orchestral program is important here so we have lots of string, brass and wind players practicing in these little rooms and until they are getting ready for a recital, they don't need a piano.  Our Associate Director and I had a conversation the other day about maybe using some electronic keyboards in some of these rooms.  Have any of you any experience with having a few keyboards as part of your inventory?

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University