[CAUT] reaming prior to oversize pins?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 3 11:31:10 PDT 2009

Dr. Henry Nicolaides wrote:

> My prior experience rebuilding pianos generally was to replace (or shift
> the pin block as referenced in the new book authored by Carl-Johan
> Forss) the pin block since most were 50+ years old with evidence of
> deterioration in some form.

Or "shift"? I hope that's not what it sounds like.

> I would speculate the reaming may give a better consistency one pin to
> another and may also elimanate any scoring caused by older pins.  I have
> several pianos that the pins "jump" with some that are so tight I have
> to extend the tuning lever all the way out and others almost move by
> looking at them.  Keep the block and repin or replace the block?

The wide range of results, some beyond the limits of
acceptability in both directions, is a pretty good diagnostic
indicator that saving the old block by your current methods
isn't optimal. Reaming would possibly help, depending on a
list of factors, or filling the block with epoxy and
re-drilling. Either works better than brushing the holes, but
each has it's own set of drawbacks.

>Budget
> and time are obviously a concern.  I would prefer to put the time and
> $'s into one more project...and when discussing these things with our
> director it certainly has helped to have your opinions.

Replace the next block, double drill the pin installation, and
you'll find a much more predictable and uniform job results.
Ron N