[CAUT] Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 12:18:04 MDT 2008

These tunings were done with Bernhard Stopper's PureTuner VTD; it runs on
PocketPC.
You need to know just a bit about the software before you can understand why
the good results are so interesting. Stopper's tunings are based
theoretically on a pure twelfth divided into 19 equal half-steps. This VTD
takes no measurements from the piano being tuned in order to calculate a
tuning; one just boots up the program, determines a pitch level for the
tuning, and starts tuning.

Stopper claims to have a new way for a VTD to deal with inharmonicity that
is automatic. He says the VTD display readings are based neither on
single-partials nor multi-partials, but rather are based upon a new
approach.

Stopper claims that the results are consistent and superior. He claims that
that although the tunings are rather wide, there is an
overall, synchronous effect that gives a clean, beatless effect to chords.
He claims the software will deliver a best fit tuning for any level of
inharmonicity.

I have been using the software since June and I am finding that the claims
all appear to be true. I offer the recordings of Steinway D and a
Bosendorfer Imperial tuned together with Stopper's software as evidence.

I admit to some discomfort because Stopper has stated his intention to
withhold most explanations of how this all works.

The bottom line, though, is that the tunings sound good. Good enough for my
workplace which is a demanding university environment.

Kent