[CAUT] Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Sat Sep 27 18:37:48 MDT 2008

Hi, Kent.

They do sound well-matched, especially when you play the chromatic
scale; apart from that, it's hard to judge.

I'm interested in the way you played the chord of nature. Your left hand
played the Fm chord in root position from F3 to F4, and the right hand
played C5 followed by C6. That's a new way (for me) of thinking of the
chord of nature (see below). I see that the left-hand chord notes all
contain the C6, but I'm not sure what the C5's role is (OK, its 2nd
partial is C6, is that all?). Could you explain?

Just for clarity, the way I have thought of it is (and BTW thanks, I got
the general idea from you!): play the Fm chord in 2nd inversion, from C4
to C5, then, after the coincident partials have emerged and hopefully
converged, follow with C7, which should match the ghost note projected
by the sounding 4-note chord. The magic of it for me is that the
convergence produces a tone of audible amplitude at C7, making it easier
to judge whether C7's fundamental is in good relationship to the 4th and
5th octave. Since this gets us up into the 7th octave, which is the area
most in need of validation, it seems slightly more useful. Comments?

Thanks.

-Mark Schecter

PS   OK, I'll bite. How did you go about it? Thanks!