[CAUT] Heating system volume level

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:20:15 MDT 2008

Well, this was a complete remodel of a building, with sound isolation
(room built within a room, with some kind of "springiness" to avoid
rumblings of trucks and the like). The HVAC was installed new, a
rooftop unit, specifically designed to make no noise in the room. I
don't know any of the details, I just know it works, very well. IOW,
such things are definitely possible.
	Dealing with an existing system on a limited budget, well, that's
another story. Certainly there are motors and bearings that are
quieter than others, and how they are mounted makes an enormous
difference. Some hair driers are made that are much quieter than the
norm. So maybe there is a retrofit possible that would improve things
significantly without redesigning the system (and getting the fan out
of the room).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico