[CAUT] Touchweight question

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Sep 23 18:23:33 MDT 2008

Hi Jim,
	That sounds like someone didn't know what the heck they were doing.
"Let's use wipp springs, so we don't need so much lead. Oh, my! the
down weight is too low. Let's add lead to the backs of the keys to
make it better." I don't know anything about Hornung and Moller
(though my quick Google search shows that I looked up the firm in a
European Piano Atlas about a year ago, so I must be an expert <G>). Is
it a Danish piano, or is the name used by some Asian manufacturer? Or
do you know?
	I'd pattern lead it.
	The more basic question? Springs can be used to moderate the amount
of lead, but the consensus seems to be that more than the equivalent
of about 10-15 gms DW reduction makes the action perform "strangely
enough to be problematic." Moderating the amount of lead reduces
moment of inertia, which means the action "feels and performs" lighter
- easier to get it moving - regardless of DW/UW.
	It's a good idea to unhook some springs and see just how much they
are doing. And you can adjust them to "help" precisely 10 grams while
you're at it, and see where that leaves you with lead.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu