[CAUT] harpsichord seminars

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Sep 22 06:40:57 MDT 2008

This is good news, Eric,

I'll be able to go to national this year and will definately get in on
Robert's class.  He is an outstanding technician, teacher, and friend. All
who take his class will be all the better for it!  Of course, a 3 day
hands on class would really be neat!

Thanks for the heads up!

Paul

"Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel)" <WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
09/21/2008 09:00 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] harpsichord seminars

Jeff,
From a business standpoint it sounds like it would be a good thing to
learn! You could charge just 3x your normal rate and get all their
business.

CAUT has offered a number of classes at the National dealing with
harpsichords over the last few years but I’m sure learning would be much
more comprehensive and permanent if done in a hands-on seminar format and
we will be offering one as soon as possible. At the Institute this year in
Grand Rapids, Robert Murphy will be teaching a class on harpsichord and
fortepiano service. As Fred pointed out, the topic of servicing historic
instruments is definitely in the plans as part of a curriculum for a CAUT
certification. For the purposes of general operational instruction on the
topic, I don’t think we really need to go far afield to find a person to
teach… Perhaps Robert Murphy at Oberlin would be a prime candidate with
assistance from Fred Sturm and/or myself. I know Fred has built a few
instruments and I’ve been building and messing around with them (in my
spare time, of course) since 1979 when I built a Hubbard kit. I’m
currently trying to finish a French Double (instrument #8) so the topic is
never far from my mind.

I think the goal of such a seminar should be for the student to be able to
perform some of the more common maintenance operations such as winding a
new string loop ( knowing which kind of wire to use, of course), replacing
a plectra and voicing it to match its neighbors, regulating and replacing
damper felt, maintaining and regulating the registers, learning about
staggering the plucking between registers, removing, easing and leveling
keyboards, regulating the buff-stop, etc…Throw in a little bit about the
history, development and different types of instruments and I’m sure we
could more than fill a 3 day weekend.

BTW Fred, I have that cartoon too…on my office wall.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
College-Conservatory of Music