[CAUT] teflon bushings

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 17:59:40 MDT 2008

Jon writes:
<< Treat the yoke with thin CA to stabilize it against moisture.

Remove the bushings and insert a drill bit shank that fits snugly into
the holes. This hopefully will maintain the alignment while the CA sets.
Had nothing been placed in the holes they would need to be drilled to
accept the bushing and risk misalignment.
I've heard that once the yokes are treated with epoxy or CA
most if not all of the problems disappear. >>

     In 1982, I reshanked a D with the large teflon shanks.  I had had it
with the factory pinning by then, so I took all of them apart and dipped the
bosses, past the holes, into Brookstone's "penetrating expoxy", which was a very
thin mix.  I just shook them off and laid them out.  I then let'em  set up for
a day and installed new Teflon bushings. Repinned them to swing 6 times, and
for the next 6 years, I don't think I had a single problem with that piano's
pinning.  They maintained their friction through all the seasons, and were more
stable than any set that I can think of. They worked perfectly, (or as nearly
perfect as any thing I can get), and never needed maintenance. The Teflon was
really a great idea, they just didn't consider the wood's dimensional
instability.
     A factory field technician, who shall remain nameless, happened to be in
town and saw the action here in the shop.  He was impressed with how
consistent the pinning was but said, "This is really good, but it will never be done
in the factory."  I asked him why not and he pointed to the shanks and said, "
It changes the color of the wood around the holes."  There is a clear example
of priorities!
   CA might do the same thing, but will it really change the holes diameter
so much that the ribbing on the teflon won't accomodate?
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a
new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at
StyleList.com.<BR>      (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)</HTML>