[CAUT] Reasonable job descriptions

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Sep 15 13:29:21 MDT 2008

Hey Jeff,

What about UCLA/BYU...

Cheers,
Jim

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Tanner
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:19 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Reasonable job descriptions

Jeff,

BYU is private, that's why my goof was pretty dumb.

Hey Jim,
Ok, my bad.  I don't know why I thought BYU was a state school.  But, if it were, you'd be a lot like the rest of us.  :-)

I'd bet, though that state schools in your area contact your HR department to find out what you make so they'll have an idea of what to pay their techs.  That was the real point.

Completely off topic aside related to BYU:
(and just for the record, anyone who has followed college football all their lives knows that either spiking or spinning or throwing a football 50 feet in the air after a touchdown or any kind of emotional play has ALWAYS been against the rules! I don't care what the sportscasters are all saying, college football requires a degree self control that the NFL does not.  That, for me, is one of its biggest attractions.)

...back to the topic....
I'd sure like to know what the professors make here. Then again, maybe I don't! (Ignorance really is bliss : - )

Best,
Jim

Yeah, first time I looked up all our music profs's salaries I was pretty amazed they'd spent all that MONEY and gone to all that effort for all that education so they could do what they do for that little money.  I guess that's why half of them are single and most of the others have spouses with better jobs, and the ones who are left do 3 or 4 jobs to survive.  That's just wanting to be a musician at the expense of anything or anyone else.

But that's exactly why I didn't pursue a music degree..... :-(

Interestingly enough, I had a chat with a piano major a couple years back, and she was under the impression her professor (who, at the time made less than $50K) probably made near to 6 figures.  She was from a more wealthy family in the northeast and probably had some idea of what it takes to live.  She was practically aghast when I told her what the truth was.  I wonder how many kids would choose a different path in life if they knew what music professors really make, and how many piano majors wind up working at Wal Mart and playing down at the local duelling pianos bar?

What is it about music that is akin to a drug addiction for some of us?

Jeff