[CAUT] Wurlitzer Iron Pinblock - Anyone ever restring one of these things?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 14 08:31:23 MDT 2008

Fred Sturm wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Kendall Ross Bean wrote:
>
>> I think there might also be some confusion here because Wurlitzer
>> apparently used two different configurations for these iron pinblocks.
>> The one I am working on uses a machine screw with a relatively fine
>> thread to hold the tuning pin in from the back (or underside on a
>> grand), but you brought up a good point: there was also a design that
>> used wedges, and a tuning pin that was split at the bottom to accept
>> the wedge, which wedge could then be pounded in further to tighten the
>> pin (which design I have also seen in my travels, but unfortunately
>> don't have a picture of.)
>
> Oops, I guess I didn't look at the photo. Yes, definitely a different
> animal. I suspect the wedge one came first. I always heard it called the
> "Wegman" plate, so I assume someone called Wegman invented it.

Patent #713336 to Hans G Osterberg, of the Wegman piano
company, shows a picture of the Wegman system. The pin wedges
into a shaped hole in the plate, with no other parts. It's not
remotely like what Wurlitzer used. APSCO, I think it was, used
to sell a Wegman "fix" for a conventional loose tuning pin.
You pulled the pin, drilled out a BIG hole, and drove this
"fix" in. I had always meant to buy a couple of these things
to keep as a curiosity, but somehow never did.

Ron N