[CAUT] False Beats Steinway B

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey at marshall.edu
Tue Sep 9 11:50:35 MDT 2008

 Something that Ron N. said in a recent post make me want to ask the following. How much bridge pin do we need or want projecting from the bridge?

I remember an early mentor saying that no more than 2 or 3 times the diameter of the string was necessary. This would be 3/32" projection for a #13 wire, a little over 1/8" for a #20.

I've seen bridge pins with 1/4" to 3/8" stickin'out, mostly on low end units, but some on performance level pianos too.

This may or may not have anything to do with our false beat thread, but, how much is enough....too much?

What say Ya'll?

I'm amazed pushing on the side of the pin didn't make it stop.
That's classic flagpoling pin effect! The next thing I'd do is
lower tension and slide strings over, dress the V bar down in
that spot, and pull it back up. If that doesn't get it, I'd
change strings as a last resort. If *that* doesn't get it, I'd

Ron N

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Sr.
Marshall University