[CAUT] uprights

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Sep 6 13:45:09 MDT 2008

Well, I didn’t say that exactly, although I think the U5 is a better made
piano with higher manufacturing standards than the K52 at present.  Easier
to service in an institutional setting where techs are often pressed for
time and working for discounted rates is a consideration, in my view.  I
would not want to be tuning pianos 4-5 times a year that render poorly for ½
my normal rate—call me selfish.  Poor rendering, btw, is one aspect of
quality.  Steinway uprights (and Bostons for that matter) have that problem.
Moreover, I don’t see a Steinway K52 outlasting a U5 and when time comes for
replacing parts, they are easier, faster and less expensive to replace on a
U5 as manufacturing is more consistent and service support is better.   When
you put that along side the price differential I think that choice would be
fairly easy.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com