[CAUT] Richard Kingston harpsichord parts

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 6 12:39:11 MDT 2008

Fred Sturm wrote:
> A couple differences. Hubbard has the bottom square section off to one
> side rather than centered. I think Dowds are centered, as are many
> other jacks, but to the best of my knowledge nobody is making jacks
> like that currently.
Dowd definitely is centered, the tongue can be inserted from either side.

>     The other difference is in the way the tongue is attached. Hubbard
> tongues have an axle that slides into a slot in the jack body. Dowd
> tongues (I believe - memory is sometimes inaccurate) are pinned with a
> metal pin. The Kingston tongues have axles that are are snapped into
> holes in the jack body, and have those "bird's-eye" like ledges to
> hold them centered and reduce friction.
Dowd tongues had a metal axle many years ago but since at least the
1980s when I first started working on them they snapped in. I think
Kingston used the same design. I didnt realize Hubbard tongues were
different, this is by far the easiest style to work with. Metal springs
can be added in a variety of ways, I have one customer who has kept his
Herz double running for years with some very thin wire tied into a
couple of small holes drilled into the jack body kind of like a boar
bristle.

--

--Dave

  New Orleans