[CAUT] Piano covers

Randy Chastain Randy_Chastain at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 18:23:01 MDT 2008

I did an appraisal for a woman's Steinway grand up in Marin county,
San Francisco area  a few years ago. She had  vinyl covering the top.
When I took it off not only had the veneer started coming off but the
core wood had cracked clear through. It is a problem finding a
material that protects from wear and moisture from, lets say glasses,
and also let the area breath. I guess you'd have to look at the
situation and see what would be the best call.

I have just started making string covers for my clients. Finding the
proper balance and keeping it more affordable takes some work. Two of
my teacher clients want a cover for the top. I'm just starting to look
into it.Any other ideas?

Randy Chastain
San Francisco Bay Area