[CAUT] S&S Key Bushings

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Oct 30 17:01:48 MST 2008

On Oct 30, 2008, at 1:23 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Thanks Fred,
>
> I forgot about the Teflon in the bushings. Do you do that very last?
>
> Jim

	When I put in new bushings, I apply the teflon before I glue in the
felt. WIth a brand new piano, I put teflon in with a pipecleaner, then
follow with heat. Reason? The pipecleaner "fuzzes up" the felt so it
needs to be ironed down again. With the new piano, the bushing has
never been ironed and probably needs some sizing, as well as lubing
and ironing, so this is just a standard, assembly line process. The
way I use the heated cauls, I don't find any affect on the teflon
powder.
	At this point, I haven't done any steam sizing of bushings that
weren't already tefloned for quite a while. But I think I would steam,
then do a first, quick ironing, then apply teflon, then a final ironing.
	Chris says with the VS you don't need the additional lube. I guess
I'll see, but my take is that what is described as being in the VS (1%
silicone) is probably a lot less lubrication than a fairly think
application of teflon powder on the felt, and a coating of McLube on
the pin. (Why McLube on the pin? In my experience it sticks on metal
much better than ProLube, and it seems to be the slipperiest substance
I have come across. Granted it's killing brain cells, or the solvent
part of it is. But who needs those? <G>).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu