[CAUT] S&S Key Bushings

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Oct 20 13:55:14 MDT 2008

Hi Jon,

You've probably gone through all this but, how long did you insert the iron? Less than 1 second at the optimum temperature seems to work best; it sizes the hole and doesn't seem to loosen the glue. At least that's what we've done for years w/o the problem you mentioned. When students have held it in longer we've had problems though. It needs to be hot enough to nearly singe (but NOT) the bushings thus inserting quickly it doesn't have enough time to heat too deeply. Also, they say that you should use a size that is .003 bigger than the pin size but for the .146 I use the .150 with great success. Not trying to be the expert here.... (I'm assuming that this is hide glue? Other glues act differently.)

Jim