[CAUT] tuning paradigm (was P12ths)

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Sat Oct 18 15:48:22 MDT 2008

Fred,

I think I understand what you are saying here.  It is not up to
technicians to decide what is a correct tuning?  That is my
philosophy.  As I commented earlier when talking about Fernando
Ortega, recording artists prefer tunings that have very narrow
octaves.  From what I can tell it is because of how the octaves
interact making the unisons sound out of tune.  It is not for me to
tell Fernando or Jim Brickman what they should prefer.  A piano used
for accompanying a choir seems to work better tuned very narrow.  Now
Olga Kern sounds better with a quite wide tuning.   My job is to make
the artist happy.

Tim Coates