[CAUT] Origin of P12ths StopperStimmung/tuning

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 18 12:12:10 MDT 2008

Hi Bernhard

Just two comments:

    of part of my work, i see the need to post my viewpoint here:

1) I expressed no such doubt whatsoever. In fact I stated the exact
opposite which, as it were,  directly relate to the specific claims you
make below.

2) I simply state, claim and assert that the general idea of a Perfect
12th based system precedes your published works, (which I can document)
and that this illustrates how similar ideas and thinking happens oft
times parallel in our rather small world without the people being aware
of others work in the same area. Happens all the time.  I see no
conflict whatsoever with what I have said, and repeat above with your
claims below. I applaud your work and fully support all patent
copyright rights you have as far as they go... but only as far as they
go.  P 12ths tuning in general has been around before you formalized it,
and for whatever its worth my own Tunelab application of the general
idea precedes your own far more sophisticated software. Also all very
easy to document. However... since your own Software clearly goes much
farther in exploiting the potential of the P-12ths then my rather crude
in comparison application does... I see no reason for you to concern
yourself with it. Quite the opposite really.  The more folks get turned
onto the idea of the P-12ths system in general... the more likely they
are to want a Mercedes version of the tool.

Relax Bernhard we are on the same side here.

Cheers
RicB

    I claim:
    1.
    Having discovered and described the natural form of the fifth circle,
    which is present in nature in the harmonics structure and is in fact a
    circle of 12 duodecimes and 19 octaves (1988).

    2. Beeing the first having developped a real world tuning (i.e. taking
    into consideration of nonlinearities) based on AURAL pure duodecimes
    with the help of a DUODECIME TUNING TOOL (a tool spanning a duodecime
    enabling to strike the duodecime with one hand while tuning),
    resulting in "sweet spotted" aural pure duodecimes (not 3/1
    duodecimes). Further using a temperament setup within the range of
    such an AURAL duodecime, named the resulting tuning "Stopper Stimmung"
    and used the name as a trademark for this tuning (published 1988).
    Although StopperStimmung/tuning is BASED on the 19th root of 3,  this
    factor is true but for the pitch unison. In fact real world
    StopperStimmung/tuning is NOT a logarithmic 19th root of three tuning.

    3. (most important)
    Having discovered symmetry present in this tuning, eliminating beats
    in various chord combinations by constructive interference, und thus
    having discovered WHY this tuning sounds so good:  (2004).

    4.
    Having developped an improved aural tuning method (OnlyPure) using
    explicitely the effects of the symmetry caused interference phenomenes
    (2004).

    5.
    Having released a new tuning software which produces a tuning of the
    form derived by the methods of claims 2 and 4. (2006).

    Best regards,

    Bernhard Stopper