[CAUT] P-12ths was: Tuning a Steinway D and aBosendorfer Imperial together

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 18 06:00:10 MDT 2008

Hi all again.

A few comments about the origins of the P12th.  Kent asked me to hunt
down the specific column I have refered to several times from the early
eighties / late seventies that specifically talks about the P-12th (and
If I remember correctly mentions the 19th root of 3). I spent an hour
yesterday looking through quickly about 30 issues from that time period
and the <<journyey>> was really quite cool.

I have not found the column I remember, but will.  But I have dug up
quite a bit on the way. So far, the first time I see a direct reference
to using the P-12th as a tuning priority was in 1982.  Much earlier tho
there are many articles that clearly dance, and in progressive fashion,
around the idea of using this priority. There was a whole slew of posts
that went along the lines of the discussions we have here...
time-delayed and individually selected as required by the medium at the
time (the Journal itself) In these discussions many tuning priorities
for temperaments and octave stretching were thrown back and forth.
Curiously with  some degree of tension amoung some of the
participants... but I digress.  In many of these, and an increasing
degree as the years passed, the idea of the major 3rd, 10th, 17th were
sentral. On occasion reference to the 4th above the 3rd... or the major
6th are thrown in... and gradually one sees more a picture of using
these in slightly compromised form to essentially achieve what is in
fact a P-12th interval that governs octave stretch. It is not
specifically identified until the article in 1982 (of the articles I
have dug up so far).  When I find the specific article I have in my
memory I will post it, along with a bunch of others in chronological
order for anyone who is interested.

Now one can re-read these articles and interpret them in any way one
wants mind you... but the likely hood that some would indeed read these
and move in the direction of P-12ths is rather impossible to argue
against.... Especially since it starts getting directly mentioned at
some point.

All this pre-dates Stoppers work. That said... it takes nothing away
from Stopper.  His math treatise on the matter are to my knowledge the
first and the comma he arrives out can be called whatever he wants it to
be called... that is the usual rights of someone who discovers such
things.  That said... it is clear as I have said many times that several
folks, completely independent of each other and without knowledge of
each others work and the time periods in which such work was done have
been moving in so similar a fashion that any claim to originating the
basic concept of using the P-12th as a tuning priority will not stand.
It falls into the category of
prior knowledge and can not be patented.  Stoppers exact implementation
CAN be legally patented, and his math treatises copyrighted... and that
should be respected.  But anyone wanting to do an Aural P-12th tuning
can freely do so, and anyone wanting to use another ETD with a self
constructed template can also do so freely.

Cheers
RicB